Monday, August 09, 2010

An exercise in positive thinking...

As the weeks go by and my due date approaches, being pregnant becomes less appealing.  Don't get be wrong, I'm not desperate to be done with this stage yet-- I'm still enjoying my time off and have yet to pack my hospital bag.  However, there are moments when I begin to consider what life will be like on the "other" side.  People have told me that I tend to be an optimistic person-- so in an effort to remain positive I've decided to compose a list of the perks of being 38 weeks pregnant.  Here we go:

1.  I do not suffer from indecision when it comes to selecting my outfit for the day-- because I have so few options.  I pretty much wear the same thing every day... a super long, super stretchy white tank top with one of the few maternity purchase I made this time around-- my maternity jean cut offs!!  Best $25 I've spent in a while.

2.  I have a portable shelf (aka my big belly) that comes with me wherever I go-- I can rest books on it, the TV remote, my snacks... oh the possibilities are endless.

3.  My belly button is remarkably easy to clean at this stage in the game-- because it's flat and stretched out beyond recognition.  This is particularly wonderful to me-- as not many people know that I am really grossed out by belly buttons-- even my own-- and feel a bit squeamish at the thought of cleaning it.  The stretched out belly button makes my life more enjoyable at this moment.

4.  I have enjoyed making use of front row parking stalls for expectant mothers at Walmart, Superstore, and the mall.  Whoever came up with that concept deserves a pat on the back.  I did have one terrible incident in one of these parking stalls last week though... I pulled in, opened the door of my car, stepped out... right into a McDonald's container of half eaten pancakes.  Sticky pancake syrup all over my sandal and foot.  I was quite disgusted... even more disgusted to realize that I couldn't bend over far enough to properly clean off my sandal and foot.  Oh well, I decided not to let it get me down-- so I tracked sticky syrup footprints throughout Superstore and left my sandal outside my front door when I arrived home.  It's still there... waiting to be cleaned.

5.  More about feet-- can't reach them... so keeping them groomed is not my responsibility.  The responsibility now rests with the Wild Orange Spa and the European Day Spa  until I reach the "other" side.  Now there's a perk we all could appreciate!

6.  For some reason-- seeing someone as pregnant as I am is entertainment for random strangers.  The occasional brave soul will make a comment or come talk to me- most just stop and stare.  It's great that I can provide entertainment for others-- but what these strangers don't realize is that they are actually entertaining me with their strange behaviour.  At Ikea the other day Doug saw a woman abandon her shopping and watch me from across the store three separate times-- then she walked ahead of me and stood in the aisle watching as I walked by.  Awesome.

7.  I have a few more weeks to eat whatever I want-- without feeling guilty or enduring the strange looks of others.  Some of my favorite moments in ordering food this pregnancy-- "Can I have a side of fries and a coke with my salad?"  and... "I'll have the grilled cheese-- I'd like the fake cheese please, not the real cheese."

That's all I've got for now.  We'll see if week 39 has as many perks as 38...

And just because he's cute... some pictures of Caleb!!  On occasion, our family has pajama parties-- Caleb gets to pick out a kids movie, we make some popcorn and chocolate milk and he gets to have a picnic in the living room while we watch the movie together-- Last night we watched Mighty Machines. Here's a few pictures from our pajama party!



For some reason-- all of Caleb's PJ's with feet have holes in the toes.  Ever since he was a baby, the toes would always wear out first.  It would drive me absolutely crazy to have 2 of my toes peeking out-- but Caleb seems to love it.  It cracks him up every time...



Have a good week everyone!

6 comments:

Rosanna Toews said...

You light up my life! Can't even begin to express the way your wit and charm have enriched my soul. LOVE YOU!

{ as we know it } said...

I'm just trying to get over the fact that Calen actually fits into those onesies! Incredible!
At midnight last night I was so desperate for a blizzard that i scoured the pantry for some haloween chocolates, chopped them up in my food procesor added a little choco sauce and ice cream and viola! Glad you've found the perks in being this large and in charge. Much love friend!

Trev and Rebekah said...

I too love how you write. Perhaps one day I can get you to help me write a post. :0)

I need to make a run to carters before winter to get some pj's like that for my son.

Can't wait to hold your little bundle.

KDees said...

Great list - way to be positive! :)

Tanya said...

Hahaha! I am so with you Elissa. #4 is my favorite at this point in my pregnancy. I specifically seek out stores that have them - they are awesome! #6 - i think you are just a beautiful pregnant woman!
p.s. the worst is when it's a much older Hamilton-ian man eyeing ya. but hey, i figure when you're this far along and you still got it - you got it! :)

Bonnie said...

I'll tell you why this made me laugh out loud--- because I have never met anyone that feels the same way I do about belly buttons! I was so delighted to read your #3 and know that I was not the only one that was happy to have a flat, stretched out belly button during pregnancy. I am completely creeped out by belly buttons. And much to my dismay, Callie's all time favorite book is "The Belly Button Book" by Sandra Boynton. Sheesh. :)

Hang in there! The "other side" is so close!