Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Fun at Our House

The kids are in bed and I'm sitting on the couch surrounded by candy... oh my.  I don't have much to say, but I do have some pictures to share!  Let's start with the pumpkin.  Last night we had a pumpkin carving night with the rest of the Toews gang.  It was complete and utter chaos-- crazy hyper toddlers, pumpkin seeds and guts everywhere, sharp knives-- yikes!  Don't worry, we didn't let the children wield the knives, but it was difficult to keep them at a safe distance.  I'm not much of a pumpkin carver-- Doug enjoys the excuse to pull out his knife collection so I let him take over.  This year he carved a goose in the shape of a C for Caleb...


My job was the toast the pumpkin seeds-- just a little sea salt, some fresh ground pepper, an hour in the oven and you have a delicious and healthy snack.  I really should be eating those pumpkin seeds right now rather than all this candy...


I didn't get Emerson a costume... there wasn't much point.  Instead I created one out of a few items found in her closet.  Emerson was a polar bear cub... a REALLY cute polar bear cub if I do say so myself...



Then we decided to take a few pictures of Emerson in her Sunday best.  So cute... how could I resist?



And once Daddy appears in her line of vision Emerson lights up.  
She saves her biggest toothless smiles for Daddy.

 
Tonight Caleb and Emerson met up with their cousins to do a little trick or treating.  It was quite a zoo out there tonight.  Ha ha ha.  Lame, I know.  As you may be able to tell, it was nearly impossible to get the kids to stand still for a picture prior to trick or treating.


Just for comparison's sake-- here are the kids at Halloween last year.  As you can see, these costumes have been put to good use.


This year Caleb was a giraffe.  He spent the afternoon practicing his tall neck.


 Keziah was a hula dancer.  What zoo wouldn't be complete was a hula dancer?


 Micah once again rocked the zebra.


 Emerson was a convincing polar bear cub.


 And Silas was a ridiculously cute elephant.  He toddled after the bigger kids for most of the night-- watching his feet more than where he was going.


This year the kids ran a tight act.  They would all approach the door together.  Micah would ring the doorbell (since he's the only one who could reach it) while the other two would knock on the door.  They would all shout "trick or treat" in perfect unison when it was opened and for the most part they remembered to say thank you.  Every so often I would hear some random comments from the kids-- such as Caleb asking a lady why her house was so dark.  Those "why" questions just don't stop.


A fun night was had by all.  In the end, the kids didn't really care too much about the candy, they just had a great time together.  And now I'm left with a ridculous amount of candy that neither Caleb or I should be eating.  Oh dear.

4 comments:

Erica said...

You have two very cute little animals! And I am impressed with Doug's pumpkin carving abilities - nice work!

Trev and Rebekah said...

It was fun to run into you guys last night. What a perfect area you had to hit up a lot of houses at once.

KDees said...

So fun to share the Halloween experience with cousins! They were all SO cute!
I also LOVED your car wash post. Great idea - might have to pull that out on a snowy day this winter!

Bonnie said...

Those kids are a lethal combination-- so much cuteness!